DMAIC is the basic six sigma improvement project methodology. This is a process-based improvement approach. In its basic form DMAIC has 5 phases which are:
- Define – identify the process to improve
- Measure – eliminate guess work
- Analyse – identify the cause of the problem
- Improve – generate solutions to remove the problem
- Control – implement a control system.
Some six sigma applications also have a ‘transfer’ phase where they look systematically to transfer any solution put into place into other areas.
The DMAIC methodology is outlined in ISO 13053-1:2011 Quantitative methods in process improvement – Six Sigma – Part 1: DMAIC methodology.
Black Belts will lead improvement projects and/or facilitate Green Belt projects using the DMAIC methodology. In addition they may train, coach and mentor Green Belts on DMAIC methodology. Generally the Black Belt participates in all DMAIC ‘gate’ reviews directly.