The storage and disposal of waste is heavily regulated in the UK. All organisations dispose of waste and have clear responsibilities from the point of generation to final disposal. By ensuring you know which regulations apply to you and how to determine the action that you should take to maintain compliance, you will reduce the risk of regulator action, help prevent waste crime, support ongoing certification to an Environmental Management System and be able to provide assurance to customers and other stakeholders.
This one day Introduction to Waste Legislation and Compliance will provide you with an overview of key waste legislation and how to keep up to date with new and changing requirements. You will learn to identify what action you can you take to maintain compliance in your organisation and where to find further information.
Through interactive tutorials and expert led discussions, this one day Introduction to Waste Legislation and Compliance course will cover:
- Benefits of compliant waste management
- Waste hierarchy and how it applies in practice
- Mechanisms for determining legal requirements relating to waste and how to access further information
- Key UK legislation and the key issues in relation to the definition of waste
- Duty of Care, the role of the producer and practical actions for compliance
- Environmental permits and waste exemption: when they may be required and signposting the process for application
- Overview of Hazardous Waste Regulations
- Compliance considerations when organising waste contracts
This one day course is aimed at managers / supervisors who have responsibility for managing waste in their organisation. It is suitable for anyone who is new to operational management of waste or those that require a refresher. The course would also benefit those who have responsibility for implementing an Environmental Management System and need to gain an understanding of waste legislation and controls.
On completion of this course you will have a good understanding of key waste management legislation and practical ways that you can maintain compliance in your organisation. You will be able to help safeguard your organisation against regulator action and environmental crime and positively contribute to your organisations environmental management system certification. Specifically, you will be able to:
- Explain the benefits of a compliant waste management
- Describe the waste hierarchy and how it applies in practice
- Outline mechanisms for determining legal requirements relating to waste and how to access further information
- List key UK legislation and the key issues in relation to the definition of waste
- Explain the importance of Duty of Care, the role of the producer and practical actions for compliance
- Recognise when an environmental permit or a registered exemption may be required and the process for application
- Outline the key requirements of the hazardous waste regulations including the completion of consignment notes
- List key compliance considerations when organising waste contracts