CPDEquivalent to 28 hours
CERTIFICATESAll delegates will receive a certificate on completion.
This single course combines our individual Core Tools courses to run across 4 consecutive days. The course includes interactive workshops, case studies and team activities to encourage group discussion around the application of these Core Tools.
At the end of the course delegates will understand how Core Tools enable organisations to develop new products and processes more efficiently, reduce the risk of product and process failure, and enable co-operation between supply chain partners.
Those attending this course do not need to have substantial knowledge of the topics prior to this course.
Delegates should bring a laptop or calculator for use in practical workshops.
By booking this package, delegates can save up to £605 + VAT compared with booking each of the APQP, PPAP, FMEA, SPC and MSA courses separately.
- APQP (advanced product quality planning) and PPAP (production part approval process):
- the business need for APQP and PPAP processes
- the requirement for APQP and PPAP in IATF/TS 16949
- overview of APQP process
- project management and timing plans
- PPAP process and requirements
- scope and limitations of approval
- evaluation of evidence submitted
- Ford phased PPAP requirements
- levels of submission and evidence required
- FMEA (failure modes effects analysis):
- the business need for FMEA in product and process design
- types of FMEA – system, design, process and machinery
- FMEA methodology and definitions
- SPC (statistical process control):
- the existence and measurement of variation
- understanding and managing variation
- role of control charts
- X-range charts
- attributes charts
- capability analysis
- MSA (measurement system analysis):
- concepts of MSA
- measurement system elements and their contribution to measurement variation
- terminology and concepts (bias, linearity, stability, repeatability and reproducibility)
- existence and measurement of variation
- normal distribution
- accuracy and precision
- measures of variation (mean, standard deviation and variance)
- MSA studies
- bias (overview and methodology)
- linearity (overview and methodology)
- stability studies (overview and methodology)
- measurement uncertainty (overview)
- measurement system analysis and studies (variable and attribute)
- repeatability and reproducibility
- performance of a gauge R&R study
- interpretation and use of study data (from example data provided)
- use of data for cost-saving (calibration intervals, number of measurements taken etc.)
- gain a strong understanding of all the Core Tools
- identify the requirements and expectations for a product or process
- initiate APQP and PPAP processes for product development within an organisation
- use SPC techniques to generate, utilise and interpret control charts to manage process variation
- use MSA to determine the suitability of measurement systems
- produce an FMEA and fit an FMEA to identify and manage potential failures
- perform FMEA to the latest standards
- provide high-quality products that meet or exceed customer expectations
- produce high volumes sustainably
Delegates who attend and fully participate in this Core Tools training course will receive a Certificate of Completion.
For Scheduled Training courses, please select from the Course Dates and Venues table below.
Course dates and venues
Booking our 4-day Core Tools package will improve training cost-effectiveness for anyone wishing to develop skills in all of the 5 Core Tools of FMEA, APQP, PPAP, SPC, and MSA.
The package gives you a significant discount over booking Core Tool courses individually. In addition, the training is delivered on 4 consecutive days, reducing travel costs if you are attending face-to-face training.
If you do not wish to learn all these skills at one time, we do offer 1-day courses that focus individually on:
You can also benefit from a discount if you book 2 of these individual courses at the same time.
Delegates to this course have included manufacturers of a diverse range of products and services, including semiconductors, green hydrogen, die castings, hydraulics, lighting, electric wiring, composites, automotive seating and nuclear power.
The Core Tools package offers valuable insights and practical training for organisations at all stages of their business improvement journey. Past delegates have commented:
- ‘I thought most of the tools would be too advanced for our current business model, but the tutor broke the tools down and advised how it might be best applied to our situation. It is also useful as the business evolves.’
- ‘I now have a better understanding of using FMEA and control plan. And I learnt a lot about MSA and SPC. These topics can support my role even further during internal audits on our manufacturing sites.’
- ‘I will use what I have learnt to work with the quality team and change team to integrate what was learnt.’
We employ tutors who combine long-term experience in their areas of expertise with a proven ability to deliver complex subject matter in an engaging and helpful manner.
Past delegates have given positive feedback about their tutors, such as:
- ‘Tutor managed to hold our attention for the full course and got everyone to join in and contribute - no small achievement.’
- ‘The tutor was very knowledgeable and able to adapt the course materials to ensure that they delivered the best value for our company.’
- ‘The tutor really went above and beyond to make sure the course content was presented in the most professional way.’
- ‘I found the tutor easy to engage with and a team approach was always used. Any lack of knowledge on the subjects on my side had no effect on the learning.’
- ‘The tutor was very knowledgeable and was able to give a clear answer to any questions that were had throughout the course, as well as having extensive knowledge above what was on the slides alone.’
- ‘Excellent tutor – very clear, plenty of patience and had a wide knowledge.’
The Core Tools courses are one element of our business improvement training programme, which also covers
- Lean: reducing waste, cutting costs and increasing customer value
- Six Sigma: reducing errors, increasing productivity and efficiency, and raising customer satisfaction
- Root Cause Analysis: identify and addressing causes of process problems
- EFQM Excellence Model: a framework for assessing organisations for the European Quality Award
NP Aerospace Ltd|4th Oct, 2023
Evolution Employment And Training|3rd Oct, 2023
McLaren Automotive Ltd|5th Sep, 2023
Truck-Lite Europe Ltd|2nd Aug, 2023
AP Racing|7th Jul, 2023
Rotalink Ltd|23rd Jun, 2023
Amphenol Thermometrics (UK) Ltd|15th Jun, 2023
Safety Belt Solutions Ltd|17th Apr, 2023
Oxford Technical Solutions Ltd|3rd Apr, 2023
TFP Hydrogen|30th Nov, 2022
Inex Microtechnology Ltd|23rd Nov, 2022
Helix|8th Nov, 2022