DURATION OF COURSE1 days
CPDEquivalent to 7 hours
CERTIFICATESAll delegates will receive a certification on completion.
This practical FMEA training course introduces the principles behind the FMEA techniques and explains how they can be applied at each stage of product and process development. It will provide delegates with a basic knowledge of the FMEA methodology, how to apply it to product and process design, and demonstrate how the results of the FMEA are used to define the requirements for:
- An effective product validation plan
- An effective control plan for the manufacturing process.
FMEA (Failure Mode and Effects Analysis) is a powerful technique that enables companies to improve customer satisfaction and reduce product liability risk by anticipating and preventing defects in design and manufacture.
FMEA techniques are applicable to all industry sectors, though companies supplying the automotive industry or seeking compliance and registration to IATF 16949, are required to use FMEA techniques to achieve product assurance.
When properly applied the FMEA process can be used to:
- Identify critical characteristics of sub-systems and components in a complex product or process
- Identify or eliminate the potential causes of failure during the product design process, thus speeding up the development process and reducing the number of late changes
- Develop an effective control plan that will reduce the risk of project or product failure due to late delivery and cost overruns
- Improve customer satisfaction and reduce warranty costs
- The business need for FMEA in product and process design
- Types of FMEA – System, Design, Process and Machinery
- FMEA methodology and defining the:
- Customer’s expectations and requirements
- Potential failure modes
- Consequences of failure and identifying causes
- Methods of detection and prevention
- Assessing severity
- Evaluating the “risk” and prioritising areas for improvement
- Implementing corrective actions in product and process design
- Risk reduction strategies
- Case studies:
- Product Design FMEA
- Process FMEA
The connections between FMEA’s and Design Validation / Production Control Plans and other quality management tools will be explained during the course.
Additional Core Tools relating to the Automotive industry include: Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP) and Production Part Approval Process (PPAP); Measurement Systems Analysis (MSA); Statistical Process Control (SPC)
If you book any two “core tools” courses together we can offer a discount of £100. Please contact us if you wish to take advantage of this offer.
Who Should Attend
- Product developers involved in developing new product introduction strategies and those concerned with ‘time-to-market’.
- Manufacturing and engineering managers who need to improve manufacturing capability, predict initial product yield and improve cross-functional technical communications.
- Design engineers responsible for new product design and introduction who need to improve customer definition and manufacturing feedback.
- Quality/Reliability managers and engineers who want to facilitate an awareness and application of these tools within their organisation.
- Process engineers who will be involved in formulating the manufacturing Control Plan.
By the end of this FMEA training course, delegates will be able to produce an FMEA and fit an FMEA into the overall design by:
- Identifying the requirements and expectations for the product or process
- Identifying and defining potential failure modes
- Developing an effective control plan that will reduce the risk of product failure
- Identifying and assessing the potential effects of failure on internal processes, supply chain partners and end users.
Throughout the course delegates will explore the relationships between the system, design and process FMEA’s and discover how they can apply them to improve the performance of their organisation, and reduce the risk of product and process failures.
The Failure Model and Effects Analysis – FMEA Training Course can occur at your premises or a venue of your choice. The course includes interactive workshops which encourages your team to discuss how they will perform an FMEA to the new standard within your organisation. Dedicated training is normally more cost effective for those wishing to train several employees in FMEA.
For Scheduled Training courses, please select from the Course Dates and Venues table below.
Course Dates and Venues
De Vere Beaumont Estate
De Vere Cheadle House
Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Coventry
De Vere Beaumont Estate
Enersys|16th Oct, 2020
SPTS|1st Oct, 2020
Goodridge Ltd|16th Aug, 2020
Bf1systems|15th Jul, 2020
SPTS|10th Jul, 2020
Wipac Technology Ltd|2nd Apr, 2020