CPDEquivalent to 14 hours
CERTIFICATESAll delegates will receive a certificate on completion.
Contract Management training course for optimising contract performance and supplier relationships.
This 2-day course provides a detailed understanding of the contract management lifecycle and how to establish a robust contract management process. It includes interactive workshops around topics such as ‘risk management’, ‘the contract management lifecycle’ and ‘performance management’, to enable students to put ideas into practice.
Upon completion of the course delegates will have an insight into best-practice management tools, techniques and approaches to performance and relationship management, enabling them to help optimise the value of external contracts.
- managers responsible for supporting contract management staff (operations and procurement)
- supplier personnel who manage contract delivery with their customers
- those in procurement requiring a detailed insight into contract performance management
- anyone with responsibility for contract management within their wider role
- role of the contract manager
- structuring the contract management process to optimise contract performance
- the contract management lifecycle
- structure of the legal contract and practical implications for contract managers
- role of risk management in managing supplier contracts and business continuity
- contract performance management tools and techniques, including key performance indicators (KPIs) and service-level agreements (SLAs)
- contract Healthcheck and SWOT analysis
- performance management and continuous improvement
- application of supply chain management and process improvement principles to deliver contract objectives
- effective supplier and stakeholder relationship management
- problem-solving tools and techniques
- the Contract Management Framework (CMF)
- Contract Scorecards
- benchmarking, performance reviews and dispute resolution
- managing under-performance and contractual issues effectively
- supplier performance review meetings
- common contract clauses
- explain their role and the role of others in managing supplier contracts
- structure their approach to managing contracts and negotiate with suppliers
- manage and facilitate improved contract performance through sound procedures and motivation of supplier personnel
- manage supplier performance making effective use of review meetings and other approaches
- make a professional impact in their relationships with suppliers and other stakeholders
- provide input to and utilise the written contract in their management of contracts
- deliver tangible improvements and benefits from their supply contracts
Participants will also receive a Certificate of Completion, which will serve as a testament to their commitment to professional development and their new knowledge and skills in improving contract performance.
When delivered on a dedicated basis, this course can readily be customised to enable client-specific contract management strategy, policy and guidance to be incorporated into course materials and delivery.
We also have extensive experience of facilitating post-course learning for our dedicated training clients, providing delegates with support in applying the learning from the course to their roles and delivering real contract performance improvement and return on investment for their organisation.
For Scheduled Training courses, please select from the Course Dates and Venues table below.
Course dates and venues
Delegates to our contract management training courses join us from a wide variety of industries, including transport, energy, property development, local authorities, manufacturing, food production, education and research. One attendee commented that ‘Tutors take the time to understand the individuals and their roles and apply scenarios to the content and activities to those individuals’.
While delegates may come from different backgrounds, they are able to share their experiences in the group discussions within the course. Another delegate said that overall: ‘This is one of the best courses I have been on. I took a lot way from these two days.’
The aim of the course is to give delegates practical tools and techniques for improved professional management of the negotiation and contractual process with suppliers. The tutor combines classroom instruction with plenty of examples from real-life experience, and a commitment to open discussion among delegates.
One attendee commented that: ‘The course has given me the confidence to implement what I have learnt’.
Another said: ‘I can directly use the skills I learnt to help me in my role now. There were a lot of useful tips and guidance about contract management. The tutor was really good and the timings of the course, course material and breaks were perfect.’
If you would like to learn more about key negotiation skills and techniques, you may like to take a look at our Practical Negotiation Skills in Procurement and Contract Management training course.
Our tutors are chosen for their practical experience as well as their ability to deliver the content of the course in an interesting and engaging way. That is an approach that resonates with many of our delegates, with one summing up their experience as: ‘Great to listen to someone with real industry experience, not someone who acquired wholly theoretical information. The tutor seemed to be fully conversant with existing contracts [at our organisation].’
Tutors with proven expertise give delegates confidence in the knowledge they are imparting, as one delegate pointed out: ‘The tutor’s knowledge and experience was a huge reassurance.’
Documentation is important, but there is much more to successful contract management, which our expert tutor will cover in the course, and you will get an opportunity to discuss and practise over the 2 days. For example, how do you influence people to good outcomes? Why and how do you build good relationships? Why is risk management important? How do you measure and achieve great performance?
We will give you full course documentation, complete with plenty of space to make notes. You can take your course book back to use as a reference as you start to apply your learning. Past delegates have fed back positively on our course handouts, commenting that:
- ‘The course booklet was extremely detailed and useful and will be a helpful reference point for future work’
- ‘The course notes are invaluable and I'm pleased they have so much detail in that I can refer back to. I also love the way the course slides have space for us to make notes underneath so we can add in additional points’
QinetiQ Ltd|30th Nov, 2023
PAH Building & Construction Ltd|30th Nov, 2023
Grissan Engineering Services Ltd|30th Nov, 2023
Oak Dry Lining|28th Nov, 2023
Aioi Nissay Dowa Insurance Company Of Europe SE|20th Nov, 2023
Network Rail|17th Nov, 2023
Schneider Electric|17th Nov, 2023
Sharps Bedrooms Ltd|16th Nov, 2023
Home Office|14th Nov, 2023
Sense Biodetection Ltd|8th Nov, 2023
Private|6th Nov, 2023
Network Rail|31st Oct, 2023