CPDEquivalent to 14 hours
CERTIFICATESAll delegates will receive a certificate on completion.
This 2-day course provides a practical introduction to root cause analysis through interactive modules and group workshops.
At the end of the course delegates will be able to identify the reasons behind problems such as poor patient outcomes and inefficient delivery of services. This knowledge will allow them to identify, control and prevent the causes of chronic and recurring problems. They will also understand how a systems-based approach can improve quality of care for individual patients and raise staff morale.
- those responsible for improving patient care or investigating incidents of patient harm
- those responsible for improving management systems and procedures
- quality managers
- internal and external auditors
- problem-solving team members and leaders
For those wishing to learn about RCA outside the healthcare sector, we recommend our Root Cause Analysis for all Industry Sectors training course. We also offer a Root Cause Analysis for Service Providers training course.
- NHS and patient safety
- National Reporting and Learning System
- basics of RCA
- RCA systems and processes: models, controls, measurement
- accidents and incidents
- the role of human error
- effective problem-solving teams
- interviewing and other evidence gathering
- mapping information
- using NHS templates
- evaluating evidence
- effective judgement
- dealing with people in the investigation process
- incident decision tree
- identifying care and service delivery problems (CDPs and
- change analysis
- analysis tools and techniques, including Ishikawa (Fishbone) diagrams and 5-whys analysis
- using statistics in problem solving
- identifying ‘root cause’
- understanding ‘common causes’ and ‘special causes’
- liability issues with RCA
- providing and risk assessing solutions
- planning improvement actions
- minimising risk of change
- preventing recurrence
The course makes use of a variety of materials drawn from NHS and other sources, including NHS Improvement and the former National Patient Safety Agency.
- participate in the effective investigation of problems
- use appropriate tools and techniques to identify and document the root causes of incidents and recurring problems in their organisation
- propose and evaluate solutions to prevent problems recurring
- communicate their findings and recommendations to their colleagues and senior management
- engage senior management in improving the system to remove the ‘common causes’, and controlling random initiatives that may destabilise processes which are currently ‘under control’
Delegates will be awarded a Certificate of Completion in recognition of their enhanced knowledge and skills in Root Cause Analysis for NHS and healthcare settings, and their dedication to professional development.
For Scheduled Training courses, please select from the Course Dates and Venues table below.
Course dates and venues
While root cause analysis originated in engineering, it has been adapted to address the specific issues found in healthcare. These relate particularly to patient safety, where the root cause analysis approach can help investigate how incidents have occurred and how they can be avoided in the future. In the UK RCA training is used to help NHS and other healthcare organisations learn how to improve work practices and processes for safer patient care.
We have provided RCA training to, amongst others, NHS Property Services, community health organisations, clinical laboratories, private healthcare providers, and NHS health boards and trusts.
Yes, you will receive a certificate to state that you have successfully completed this Bywater training course and have learned new skills in root cause analysis for the NHS and healthcare.
The 2-day course is equivalent to 14 hours CPD.
We have been providing training courses to satisfied customers for 40 years and the feedback we receive from delegates reflects our continuing commitment to quality and improvement.
We only employ tutors who are fully conversant in their specific field and have great expertise in communicating complex material.
We believe in delivering the opportunity to practise new ideas and skills within the classroom, which means that all our training is live and interactive, whether it takes place at a venue or online in our Virtual Classroom.
Past attendees have repeatedly pointed to the excellence of the content and delivery of this course, which has enabled them to go back to their organisations confident that they can apply the lessons learned.
Comments have included:
- ‘I thoroughly enjoyed the course. I found the case studies extremely useful, particularly in terms of making assumptions on evidence’
- ‘I was really happy with the way it all came together into root cause analysis on the afternoon of the second day’
- ‘I was very impressed and can confirm that the learning in that course will benefit me in my work’
- ‘Fully informative training session. It was very useful to learn about RCA and putting within our own practice’
- ‘Very in depth course, extremely thought provoking – will intend to use for real’
- ‘Gave a good overview of RCA. I will use what I have learnt to support the clinical application’
- ‘I now have an understanding of RCA and confidence to practically apply it at work’
Root cause analysis training is one element of our broad programme of courses for those who wish to improve processes across their organisation.
For a wider view of risk management you could consider our training courses relating to ISO 31000, starting with a 1-day Risk Management Fundamentals training course.
For training courses on more specific techniques and tools, you could take a look at our training courses around Core Tools:
- Failure mode and effects analysis (FMEA)
- Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP) and Production Part Approval Process (PPAP)
- Statistical Process Control (SPC)
- Measurement Systems Analysis (MSA)
We offer scheduled face-to-face training courses across the UK as well as online, interactive training in our Virtual Classroom.
If you have a number of employees to train, you may like to discuss the potential of dedicated training, which we can provide solely for your organisation at a time and location that works best for you. Please contact us to discuss further.
Alexander Dennis Ltd|5th Dec, 2023
Alexander Dennis Ltd|1st Dec, 2023
Qinetiq Target Systems|18th Aug, 2023
Private|8th Aug, 2023
West Midlands Police|28th Jul, 2023
NHS|18th Jul, 2023
Nightingale Hospital|14th Apr, 2023
Nightingale Hospital|13th Apr, 2023
Scottish Power C O Hemsley Fraser|28th Feb, 2023
Geodis FF United Kingdom Ltd|22nd Feb, 2023
NHS Property Services Ltd|17th Oct, 2022
Barden Bearings|27th Sep, 2022