DURATION OF COURSE2 days
CPDEquivalent to 14 hours
CERTIFICATESAll delegates will receive a certification on completion.
This two-day Root Cause Analysis training course is designed for both NHS and private sector health care professionals. The course makes use of a variety of materials drawn from the NHS and other sources, including NHS Improvement and the former National Patient Safety Agency.
It provides an introduction to Root Cause Analysis demonstrating how you can select and apply industry best practise tools and techniques to investigate and solve a variety of problems in the healthcare environment.
Root Cause Analysis will enable you to identify the reasons why things go wrong in the delivery and management of healthcare allowing you to identify, control and prevent the causes of chronic and recurring problems. A systems-based approach will improve the quality of care for individual patients while also improving staff morale as they become engaged in problem solving and process improvement.
Using a variety of quality and service improvement tools, delegates will be able to investigate root causes and suggest potential solutions to address problems raised during the course concerning:
- Poor or undesirable patient outcomes
- Poor ‘process flow’ that delays service delivery
- Problems in the administrative systems and supply chain that underpin the efficient delivery of healthcare
- Incidents of patient harm including
- Accidental injury
- Inappropriate treatment
- Problem Solving Teams
- Who should investigate?
- Systems and Processes
- Process Models
- Process Controls and Failures
- Process Measurement
- Investigating Problems
- Tools and Techniques, including Ishikawa (Fishbone) diagrams and 5-Whys Analysis
- Using Statistics in Problem Solving
- Understanding ‘Common Causes’ and ‘Special Causes’
- Improving Process Control
- Incidents and Accident Investigation
- Gathering the evidence
- Finding the cause(s)
- Preventing recurrence
- Making Improvements
- Minimising the risk of change
Who Should Attend
- Managers, NHS and healthcare professionals responsible for improving patient care or investigating incidents of patient harm
- Managers, NHS and healthcare professionals responsible for improving management systems and procedures
- Quality Managers, Internal and External Auditors
- Problem solving team members and leaders
On completion of this Root Cause Analysis training course for NHS and Healthcare professionals, delegates will be able to:
- Participate in the effective investigation of problems
- Use appropriate tools and techniques to identify and document the root causes of incidents and recurring problems in their organisation
- Propose and evaluate solutions to prevent problems recurring
- Communicate their findings and recommendations to their colleagues and senior management
- Engage senior management in improving the system to remove the ‘common causes’ – and controlling random management initiatives that may destabilise processes that are currently ‘under control’
The Root Cause Analysis for NHS and Healthcare Professionals includes modules and group work covering subjects such as ‘RCA Process Overview’, ‘Using NHS Templates’ and ‘identifying the Root Cause’. Interactive workshops act as a platform for later discussions on how to successfully identify and investigate problems within your organisation, along with evaluating solutions to prevent problems recurring in the future. Dedicated training is often more cost effective and convenient for those wishing to train a number of employees on a date which is convenient for the team.
For Scheduled Training courses, please select from the Course Dates and Venues table below.
Course Dates and Venues
Hilton Leeds City
De Vere Staverton Estate
De Vere Devonport House
De Vere Cheadle House
Ziath Ltd|14th Jul, 2020
The Fremantle Trust|13th Jul, 2020
Cwm Taf Morgannwg University Health Board|7th May, 2020
Rural Payments Agency|3rd Apr, 2020
Cwm Taf Morgannwg University Health Board|2nd Apr, 2020
New Victoria Hospital|24th Feb, 2020